There’s only two things I’m always wary about cooking in the kitchen, and to which I pay extra special attention. Number one: chicken. Number two: eggs. Food poisoning isn’t for the faint-hearted, and speaking from experience, should be avoided at all costs!
Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs take away the uncertainty involved when using eggs in dishes that might require them not to be fully cooked. Davidson’s eggs are pasteurized, which means they are gently heated to a certain temperature and held at that heat, until any harmful nasties desiring a home in your belly are destroyed. That’s right, they only use heat, so no chemicals or other strange Frankenstein science methods are used. The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires all egg products to be pasteurized, but here’s where it can get confusing: this doesn’t mean eggs in their shell casing. It’s when the eggs are broken and turned into liquid egg, fillers or egg powder – then they need to be pasteurized. Most eggs for sale in the U.S. are not pasteurized and can potentially cause salmonella if eaten raw or are under-cooked.
Safest Choice Eggs is hosting a competition on their Facebook page and would love for you to enter! All you have to do is create your own “no-bake” recipe using Safest Choice Eggs and win a grand prize worth over $5,000. It includes a trip to Florida and free eggs for a year! It’s an easy competition which requires no oven use. This is probably a good idea right now, as most of the country is in blistering heat so who’d want to turn on the oven anyway?
I made one of my favorite pasta dishes, Spaghetti Carbonara, with a few of these eggs. Super simple and fast to make, it traditionally requires a raw egg plopped on top at the last moment but if you’re still a little wary of the yolk, just mix it through the warm pasta and take some of the rawness away. Add in some crispy pancetta, fresh thyme and Parmesan, and your guests will be harassing you for seconds…or thirds.
To get your inner egg inspiration flowing, Safest Choice would like to give someone their very own $50 gift card – those nice egg people are making eggs safer and giving away cash! Just follow the Rafflecopter prompts and cross all fingers and toes.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cubed pancetta
- 4 Safest Choice Eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- 2-3 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- Cook the spaghetti as per the instructions on the pack.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, adding the garlic and the pancetta. Cook until the pancetta is crispy. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs putting the yolks in individual cups. Add the whites to a bowl and whisk in the milk and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the pancetta and the milk mixture to the pasta and mix thoroughly. The pasta will become nice and creamy due to the egg whites.
- Divide the pasta into four bowls trying to make a small nest on top.
- Top each bowl with an egg yolk. Carefully place it into the nest you made in the pasta.
- Grate some extra cheese on top and garnish with some fresh chopped thyme.
- Serve at once.