Creamy Malted Chocolate Ice Cream
Welcome to #IceCreamWeek! Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina have teamed up with more than 20 of their blog friends to bring you a week full of ice cream treats, including a special ice cream giveaway! Prepare to have your taste buds tempted with some of the best ice cream treats around! Make sure you enter the giveaway for a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and two fabulous ice cream cookbooks so that you can join in on the ice cream fun!
I hope you’re not getting sick of the sight of ice cream. I know- that’s a crazy thing to say but there’s a lot of it around right now with #icecreamweek. My general rule is, I only have one batch in the freezer at any one time, and when that gets used up I can go ahead and make another batch. In fact I have the last of this batch beside me and due to my weird way of eating ice cream this post is taking forever to write. Does anyone else take tiny scoops of the stuff on the tip of the spoon, point the spoon vertically and then lick your tongue upwards licking the ice cream clean off the spoon…anyone?? This time I took Jeni’s dark chocolate recipe and twisted it into something a little different, rich malted chocolate ice cream. Jeni, if you’re reading this I swear I’m not trying to put you out of business but you’re base recipe is just so dang easy to tweak and the taste makes other ice creams shake in their tubs, even the really rich one with the fake Danish name. This recipe called for unsweetened cocoa powder but I used malted Ovaltine powder which gives it more of a candy bar-milkiness to it rather than a bitter dark chocolate taste. This flavor was given the official kid seal of approval in less than four seconds.
Now I have to figure out what flavor to make next, any ideas?
If you’d like to check out today’s #IceCreamWeek recipes, drool over the blogs below:
- Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Banana Ice Cream Banana Splits by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peachy Vanilla Ice Cream by Jaunita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Swirl Ice Cream by It’s Yummilicous
- Caramel Chocolate Chip Swirl Ice Cream from It’s Yummi
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie by Cook the Story
- Malted Chocolate Caramel Ice Cream by Foodness Gracious
- Malted Milkshakes by girlichef
- Ice Cream Social Week: Roasted Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream by Poet in the Pantry
- S’mores Ice Cream by Food Babbles
- Healthy Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Manischewitz Ice Cream Sandwiches by What Jew Wanna Eat
- Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches by 52 Kitchen Adventures
- Nutella Ice Cream with Granola Topping by The Spiffy Cookie
- For the chocolate syrup:
- ½ cup malted Ovaltine powder
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- For the ice cream base:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- In a small sauce pan bring the Ovaltine, coffee and sugar to a simmer. Take it off the heat and add the chocolate. Stir and set aside.
- Take 2 tbsp of the milk and mix it in a small cup with the cornstarch, set aside.
- Whisk the cream cheese and salt together until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture gradually and whisk until well combined.
- Mix the rest of the milk, sugar, cream and corn syrup in a 4 quart pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Take the pot from the heat and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook for about 2 more minutes and you see it getting a little thicker.
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the chocolate, whisking to remove any lumps.
- Transfer the completed mix to a one quart zip lock bag, seal and place in an ice water bath for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the bag into the canister of your ice cream maker and follow the instructions. Allow at least 4 hours freezing time before eating.