I’ll get to these flavor-laden, mini on size, but sooo not mini on taste lamb sliders in a second. But first, come join me on a weekend recap of sorts…
This weekend was the beginning of “potty boot camp” for Q. Basically, this amounts to him being naked from the waist down and us taking the risk of him marking his territory wherever and whenever he pleases. This activity doesn’t come with much of an upside, but after a couple of days of snafus, including my sweet (limited edition) Adidas shoes getting pee’d on and finding puddles with my feet, he has started to grasp the message that the toilet is actually a cool place on which to hang out.
In other weekend adventures, I took my first flying lesson sans wings or even an airplane. I decided I’d try it via my skateboard by hopping up onto the curb like I used to twenty nine years ago. Well, a lot has changed in that time – flying now also includes falling, followed by bruised ribs and road rash, which I’m currently recovering from. My Tony Hawk moves didn’t go to waste, though; the “stunt” performance took place in front of my daughter, so now she has the perfect visual of what not to do on her board.
My laptop started playing a game of “I think I’ll just switch off whenever I feel like it and take forever to turn back on.” I wanted to do this to it. (Careful, the language is a little spicy, so ear muffs for the kids.)
But instead, I made this amazing cherry, balsamic and red wine compote, and life became normal again. Sweet, but still rockin’ a great onion flavor, this relish was perfect for the lamb burgers. In fact, it’d be good on pork, beef, venison, chicken or even goat cheese crostinis…it’s good on anything!
Cherries are everywhere right now, and thanks to OXO and their ultra handy cherry pitter, you can have a truckload of fruit ready in almost no time!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced shallot
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 mini slider buns
- Mixed greens (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the sliced shallots. Cook for about 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the cherries, balsamic vinegar, sugar and red wine.
- Cook over a low-medium heat for about 20-25 minutes and the liquids become thick and glossy. The cherries will break down, that's okay but I like to still keep big chunks of fruit in the relish.
- While the cherries are reducing, make the mini lamb burgers. Preheat your grill to a high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the ground lamb, fish sauce, cumin and pepper and mix well, I like to use my hand and make sure it gets mixed really well.
- Form the meat into small patties about the size of the palm of your hand. You should be able to get 6-8 patties from the meat.
- Lay the burgers on a baking tray and then place each one onto the grill.
- Cook untouched for about 5 minutes per side or longer if you like them well done.
- Once they're cooked, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Take a mini bun and lay a burger patty on the bottom half. Spoon some of the cherry relish onto the meat and place the other part of the bun on top.
- Serve at once.