Fresh Blackberry Crumble with Thyme

And so another school year ends. Miranda and her shiny boots will face third grade next semester, her brother will face his own new challenges, Mom will face coming up with new school hairstyles. and I will face-palm most of the time due to all of their ridiculous but funny behavior.

Fresh blackberry crumble with thyme

It’s been a great year with excellent grades and lots of new hand-clapping rapping songs. At one point I was actually pretty good at them and could hold my own in the playground. We’ll take in a homemade New York cheesecake for the teacher (she’s from NY, yikes) and bid our farewells when the final buzzer sounds. I always like to see the kids come flying out of the classrooms on the last day…they’re like bats leaving the cave at night!

I always make sure to put some kind of berry in Mir’s lunch pail. My kids eat berries by the pack and blackberries are really good right now. Although she didn’t get this blackberry crumble for lunch – mom and I demolished it after the kids went to bed – it did inspire me at 6:30 a.m. while packing her blackberries. I was really pleased with the thyme flavor and I urge you to try throwing in some fresh herbs to a sweet dish sometime please! I could easily say this is the best crumble I have everrrr tasted (horn toots here)

Happy Summer Everyone!!

Fresh blackberry crumble with a butter crumb crust

Blackberry crumble with fresh thyme

Check out these other desserts with fresh herbs-

Lavender Lemon bars

1. 1 tbsp unsalted butter
  2. 1 tsp red wine
  3. 1 tbsp raspberry jam
  4. 1 tbsp brown sugar
  5. 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped finely
  6. 2 cups blackberries
  7. Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F.
  2. Place the flour, cubed butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Using your fingers rub the butter until it becomes lumpy and grainy. Set aside.
  3. In a six inch skillet, add the butter, wine, jam, thyme and brown sugar. Heat over a medium heat until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
  4. Add the berries and gently mix them through the sauce. Roughly sprinkle the butter/flour mixture over the berries. You might not need all of it. I like to see the berries peeking through.
  5. Sprinkle the top of the crumble with some fresh thyme and place the skillet into the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes until the crumble is golden and bubbling.
  6. Let cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Notes
  1. You can also place the crumble under a broiler if you prefer it more golden on top.
Foodness Gracious http://foodnessgracious.com/

Comments

1. says

That definitely looks like the best crumble I’ve seen in ages. Or ever! The blackberries and the golden crumbly bits on top. Yum! And congrats on wrapping up the school year. Cant believe it’s done and half of June is done, too!

2. says

I love the combo of sweet and savory! This looks like one of the best crumbles around. That topping look amazing and the berries? Those just look heavenly! Awesome job!

3. says

LOVE this more than anything! And I am totally making this…Always have thyme, fruit and cast iron skillet lol Blackberries are really good now, were getting them at WF (Your old stomping grounds) and i’ve never had them so sweet!

4. says

Happy summer! Hope you don’t go too crazy. And aren’t we so lucky to live in SoCal where we can afford to buy berries for our kids every day? they are so much cheaper here than in other parts of the world. This looks incredibly gorgeous, beautiful job.

5. says

This looks wonderful, it makes me want to go out and pick blackberries. The only problem is that here in NC, blackberries come with TICKS! Oh well, I think i’d brave the ticks for your yummy crumble!

6. says

I see you found a non-scallopy way to use those blackberries. Sorry. It wasn’t an entirely original recipe to me so I think there’s still room for you to throw your shellfish down. GREG

7. says

My sister and I used to pick blackberries on the side of the farm road at my grandparents’ farm. My grandmother would make stuff like this for us. Ahh the memories.

8. says

Gerry, your Blackberry Thyme Skillet Crumble looks gorgeous! Crumbly, juicy goodness. I adore blackberries and will be working with them next after strawberries and blueberries. I need to make this! Love your blog! xo

9. says

Omigosh, dude! I came over here to leave a comment on one of your recipes (since I can’t follow you properly on bloglovin) and I just noticed your etsy shop for your caramels. I am so excited for you! How’s it going? Anyway I can help promote? Email me!

10. says

Well, summer is here too! Schools closed here too! Oh my God, I have mixed fillings about htis last one. On one hand i am happy we change our daily routine and on the other hand this is exactly what I am afraid of! Anyway, the crumble looks fantastic and you are lucky you have all sorts of berries there!

Trackbacks

1. […] Chunk Cookies Amy from Very Culinary: Grilled Peach and Coppa Pizza Gerry from Foodness Gracious: Blackberry Thyme Skillet Crumble Lauren from Climbing Grier Mountain: Chicken Andouille Naan Pizza with Pico de Gallo and Jalapenos […]